The Art on Mission Auction is open! Click here to view the art and make a bid.
Event and payment details are further down on this page.
“I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings from of old, things that we have heard and known, that our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children, but tell to the coming generation the glorious deeds of the LORD, and his might, and the wonders that he has done. He established a testimony in Jacob and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our fathers to teach to their children, that the next generation might know them, the children yet unborn, and arise and tell them to their children, so that they should set their hope in God and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments; and that they should not be like their fathers, a stubborn and rebellious generation, a generation whose heart was not steadfast, whose spirit was not faithful to God.” – Psalm 78:2-8 (ESV)
We are all storytellers. Our everyday language centers around communicating a story. Whether talking with a family member face-to-face, writing an email to someone far away, “tweeting” our latest thought, or silently listening to a friend pour out their heart, we exist as a part of a grand Story and – in one of the most wonderful gifts of Creator God to His children – we get to add our story to His Story!
In fact, the very reason that we still live and move and have life is to bring glory to God by speaking and showing the love of God through the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is because of God’s glory and God’s love that Judy Behof has such a love for His kingdom, for His gospel, and for art which tells His Story and points men, women, boys and girls to the Father!
Specifically, God has given Judy a vision for a project which pairs the art we use to communicate with the Message we are called to share. This project is Art on Mission.
The goal of Art on Mission is:
- To engage artists in considering and expressing themes related to the Great Commission.
- To mobilize artists to create and share art which conveys the life-giving message of the gospel of Jesus Christ in such a way that our community, our state, our nation, and our world are impacted.
- To raise funds which will go directly to mission partnerships at Hephzibah Baptist Church which have a global impact for the Gospel.
The goal of Art on Mission is centered around what we believe has the potential to become an annual mission awareness event in the life of HBC, with the first such event scheduled for April 1st, 2017.
Here are the details…
- We invite all artists to consider and create using the theme: “The Great Commission: Partners in the Gospel” and specifically working with the mission partnerships at HBC: Local, Kentucky, Baltimore, Clarion College, Canada, Honduras, Moldova and Philippines.
- All art submitted must be in keeping with this theme.
- We hope to offer classes in varying art forms during February and March to allow anyone who desires to learn more and to create something for this event to do so.
- Special projects are being undertaken by the children of HBC as part of an overall project for this event.
- Art may be in the form of ceramics, drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking, graphic design, crafts, photography, video, filmmaking, creative writing, poetry, or other forms of visual art. There will also be opportunity for music, dance, theater and other performance arts.
- Art will be created at the artists’ expense and will be donated to HBC for the purpose of a Silent Auction to be held in April 2017 with all proceeds to benefit the mission partnerships of HBC.
- Art must be delivered to Hephzibah Baptist Church no later than Sunday, March 26 for the purpose of preparation and exhibition.
- All art will be approved by a panel to make sure the subject matter is in keeping with the theme of the event. Any works not accepted will be returned to the artist prior to the event.
- The exhibition areas will be centered around a primary gallery of “The Great Commission” and will be set apart as individual partnerships. Each partnership will feature information on that partnership, art pieces for sale in the Silent Auction, art pieces which represent the partnership but are not for sale, and possibly food and other items representative of that partnership.
- Art of Worship will be held on Saturday, April 1st, 2017. Doors will open at 2:00pm with the Silent Auction continuing until 4:00pm. Bids made during the live event will be updated online to allow online bidders to continue to participate. Winners will be announced at the conclusion of the event. Payment must me made before pieces are collected. All payments should be made out to Hephzibah Baptist Church. Items must be collected no later than Sunday, April 9th unless other arrangements are made.
Art on Mission Art Classes
February 23rd – Handlettering 101 by Bailey Powers (Registration closed)
March 2nd – Globe Painting by Diane Peper (Registration closed)
March 9th – Door Hanger Painting with Southern Whimsy
*Register on Facebook or call the church office*
March 23rd – Creative Collages by Wendy York REGISTER NOW!