Hephzibah Baptist Church was born out of the revival movements in early America. In the late 1700′s a revival meeting was held in the Rogers Crossroads area of Wake County. As a result of that meeting, many came to Christ and a fledgling church was formed. This church is now known as Wake Crossroads Baptist Church. Ten years later in 1809, a small group began a new work in East Wake County. Based on Isaiah 62:4, they named the new church “Hephzibah” – which means “she is the one in whom God delights.”
Hephzibah was a founding member of the Raleigh Baptist Association in 1811, the North Carolina Baptist State Convention in 1830, and the Southern Baptist Convention in 1845. In 1875, the white clapboard building now known as “Historic Hephzibah” was constructed and served the church for almost 100 years.
It was during the 1960’s and 1970’s that the church decided to build and ultimately relocated across the road from the historic church building. The Historical Hephzibah Society has now restored the original Hephzibah Church building at the old site. It is available to the community for weddings, funerals, and other events.
In the early 1970’s, the church relocated to the present campus on Wendell Boulevard, building the educational space and Chapel. The Family Life Center was dedicated in 1994, providing classrooms, a gymnasium, fellowship hall and kitchen. The gymnasium in the FLC is where we gather for worship each Sunday. In 2014, the church approved construction of a 10,000 square foot addition for Preschool and Children’s ministries – the fastest growing area of ministry at HBC – as well as a connector building which will include an elevator reaching all levels of our buildings.
Hephzibah Baptist Church has had a rich history of more than 200 years of faith and sharing the good news of Jesus Christ. As we launch into a new century, may we be found faithful for the glory of Christ and for the sake of the Gospel!
Family Life Center (1994) and Chapel (1972)